Monday, July 16, 2007

Finally, she had her cake and ate it too...

This weekend was an example of how summer should be; fun.

On Friday evening I met up with Kendra to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I was early, she was late, we were both without our mobile phones, and things worked out. When we entered, Kendra saw her high school friend Briar who works at the theater. She is very intense to say the least - thought that could have been the emo pink eyeshadow that swayed me. I sorta kinda basically wanted to back away slowly whenever she prompted me for agreement. Regardless, she invited Kendra to a kegger [and said I could come too] as well as managed to snag us two child tickets for the low price of 6 dollars each. The movie was really good! I noticed there was a lot less emphasis on a storyline and a lot more action this time around. [As a side note: I think should play Harry Potter if the whole HP mania spawns off into a musical for coloured people by coloured people.] After the movie, we had to take the bus as I cannot drive with my foot injury. When we arrived at the bus stop behind the theater, Kendra asked the bus driver if the mall near my house was on his route. It wasn't. The driver was totally oblivious of anything I was saying because he was too busy gawking at Kendra. The price of beauty, I suppose. We decided not to wait 47 minutes for the right bus to arrive but to walk to a couple blocks to a busier intersection. We got to the mall safe a sound. We made a quick pit stop at the drug store to buy a chocolate cake mix and powdered custard. I learned several things on our long travel home. 1, Kendra has a right drift while walking, which explains why I am always on her left side. 2, Kendra's Jamaican side gives her the ability to speak rasta patois and, as such, the power to ward off ganstas parked in black SUVs in the empty parking lot by the mall. 3, We look hella good on public transit. More lessons would follow when we got back to my house. 1, My dog loves me more than Kendra. 2, I can fake being a bad cook when I want a girl to cook for me. 3, I don't think Kendra liked my new song. All in all, it was a fun evening. I have to remember to take my camera with me wherever I go!


This, sadly, is not the cake we made...

Saturday seemed to float by with a sleepy disposition and an ample amount of schoolwork. I went to Saturday evening mass with my Ma. It was the youth mass so it was very untraditional seeming. The soloist had such a pretty voice. After the mass, my Ma asked me why I don't sing for church anymore. It was a good question... The day ended with ice cream and watching the re-run of the BET Awards with my parents. My ghetto fab sister went out so we were lost for the most part who was who. Apparently, my parents both disregard Diana Ross' drug and violence issues and think "she's a class act".

I woke up really early on Sunday morning and decided that I wanted to sing in with the 10 am choir again. My dad is one of the guitarist for the choir so I joined him for the early morning practice. During the summer, the usual Thursday evening practices are moved to Sunday mornings before mass. I am happy I chose to sing; I felt more connected to the mass this way. Afterward, we rushed downtown with a couple of family friends to see the musical We Will Rock You. I think I've learned my way downtown well because I was able to give directions to the others. Yay, proud! We got there early so we stopped by this Bangladesh festival happening in Dundas Square shortly to listen to a band that was playing. We only stayed for two songs then walked across to the theater. The Cannon Theater was a lot simpler than I expected - perhaps because the last theater I was at was the Garnier Opera House. I liked the music a lot but I thought the plot was slightly stupid. One of the friends brought a date, who came to talk to me during intermission when the others went to stretch their legs or use the washrooms. Thankfully, my dad saved me from the hotness of this very friendly individual by answering all the questions asked of me. Pft! On the bright side, I love my parents and they went out for drinks later that night so I got the house to myself. I decided to get wild by watching Big Brother and Brothers & Sisters while eating lamb burgers and Greek salad.

I had an appointment with a geneticist on Friday morning. A blood sample has been sent off to Ottawa to confirm whether I have HNPP. I was told I display the classic example of this genetic disorder. It's not lethal thankfully but still not the best thing to find out. Who would have thought bad news could kick off such a lovely weekend?

No comments: