Wednesday, June 20, 2007

There's something special about Irvine

At one time, Kelly Clarkson not only represented the sole major success story of the Idol franchise but also a powerhouse in the music industry overall, pumping out hit single after hit single. Although “Never Again” has grown on me, I had begun to question the future of the 25-year-old Texan singer-songwriter after seeing her performance of “Never Again” on the season finale of Idol. Kinda terrible. In fact, I started to prefer Carrie Underwood's composure and lack of shouting out a song.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After my friend Lorraine linked me up to preview the yet-to-be-released My December, I feel as though I need to apologize for ever doubting Kelly. It is perhaps one of the most anticipated releases of the year and has already stirred up quite a bit of controversy with Clive Davis in opposition of its release, the firing of her long-time manager, and the cancellation of a summer tour due to disappointing ticket sales. The CD does have a few shitty tracks but some of the slower-tempo numbers are beyond anything Kelly’s recorded before. As Lorraine said, "It's not so radio friendly but still good music".

When I first heard the song “Irvine” I wanted to cry. Shut up, I know... haha I just feel something when I listen to this track. Maybe because it’s such an amazing song or maybe because I am struggling to strength my faith again. The song is, in essence, a heart-filled conservation between Kelly and God, in which she poses questions about God's relationship with her. The words have a lot of meaning but the music isn’t dull or depressing. Kelly's voice, full of perfect flaws, simply sings the lyrics over an acoustic guitar strumming away. To me, it paints a desaturated image of a clothes line in a yard drying white sheets that sway in the summer breeze. This is my new favourite, it’s the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard. Tear.

Here’s my YES/NO opinion on each of the tracks:
1. "Never Again" = YES!
2. "One Minute" = NO
3. "Hole" = NO
4. "Sober" = YES!
5. "Don't Waste Your Time" = YES
6. "Judas" = YES
7. "Haunted" = YES
8. "Be Still" = YES
9. "Maybe" = YES!
10. "How I Feel" = NO
11. "Yeah" = NO
12. "Can I Have a Kiss" = NO
13. "Irvine" = YES!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The album drops Tuesday 26 June in Canada and the US. Go out and purchase a copy. Oh! Look out for the hidden track “Chivas” after “Irvine”. Bad sex + Whisky = Hilarious…Another song I can relate to. haha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad I could pass on some good music. "Be Still" owns me, by the way. I agree with all of your yes/no ratings except for "How I Feel", "Can I Have a Kiss" and "Judas".

By the way, I read that "Irvine" was written, and I believe, recorded, at the lowest point in Kelly's life (so she says).

. said...

I think you've got something with the Yes/No scale.